The Johnsons

The Johnsons

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Blake Anthony Johnson


So I really wanted a Memorial Day baby. We got married memorial day weekend 3 years ago. We bought a brand new car last year on memorial day. So it just made sense right... wrong. He just did not want to come out. Can't blame the kid, right? It's nice and cozy and the world is kinda scary. :)

Anyways, here's how it all happened. Since week 36 I was only ever effaced, starting at 50% then 70% at week 39, never dilated. My due date passed, which I guess was ok since my Dr. was out of town for the Holiday. What's up with that!? On May 30th, was my next appt and I was still only effaced 70% and still not dilated so he couldn't strip the membranes, to hopefully get the process going. So he said he'd schedule an induction which would most likely be for Monday morning (June 4) which really meant Sunday night (June 3). He called me later that day after my appt and said that's when I was scheduled. I figured the little stinker wouldn't come out on his own, especially since I was a 10 day late baby who ended up being 10.4 lbs and 22 1/2 inches. By now the anticipation is killing me since I just have to wait now. Sunday comes and I get the call so they could get info from me. They are able to tell me that I'm 2nd priority for that night and my "scheduled" time for induction was 8 pm. But the lady I talked to told me to try calling earlier to see if they could get me in any sooner. I tried at 5:30pm and the charge nurse said that if they haven't called me by 9:30pm to call them. Ugh!!! How frustrating?! So we eat a little dinner and head to my parents house at 6pm because I can't sit still at our house any longer. (The plus side to induction--you're not stressed about making sure you have everything). We were sitting, chatting, watching TV. At 7pm I decide to get up and check my phone. Good thing! I can't believe I didn't have it on me. Der! I had barely missed a call and got a message from the charge nurse telling me to come in. I called her back and said we'd be there in 15, it was more like 20.

By 8:30pm, I was still only 70% effaced and not dilated. So they gave me the first dose of cytotec. She came back in an checked me around 11:30 pm. Still at 70% and not dilated. Ugh! Another dose of cytotec. She was supposed to come back in at 3am. But around 2:45, I was feeling some contractions, not comforatble at all and I had to go potty. Well 3am comes around and she's not there. So I get up and go potty, by the time I get out she's waiting for me. I guess my contractions were enough that she couldn't have given me the next dose anyway. She checks again. I'm now dilated to a 1. Seriously!!! I couldn't take the contractions so just after 4 I call her back in and told her I wanted an epidural. So while she's calling the anesthesiologist I go to the bathroom one last time. I get back into bed so she can place my IV and "swoosh". Yep! My water breaks. All on its own. Thank goodness too, because I don't know when my Dr. was planning to do it. 

Since my water broke they now had to wait 4 hours after my last cytotec dose to start me on the pitocin-8am. Well after they started the epidural she checked me again and I was at 2 cm. By 8am I was at 4cm and having contractions every 2 mins, so they didn't need to put me on pitocin. And I wasn't feeling a thing. Yay! Also, I was really freaked out about the epidural. But it was nothing, bc my anesthesiologist is the BEST!!! I love him to pieces. He is so awesome! By 10am I had progressed to 7cm and 11:15 I was at a "9.5". I started pushing at 11:45am and was pushing for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I think at the 2 hour mark I asked for the higher dose of the epidural med. It semed like a breeze after that. Everything that I was so worried about became everything that I loved about the whole experience. The epidural-I hate needles and the catheter-it was so nice not to have to unhook myself from all the monitors and waddle to the restroom. Sorry if that was too much.

At 2:30pm, on Monday, June 4, 2012 we welcomed Blake Anthony Johnson into our family. He is now 6 weeks old and we enjoy his little personality so much. He smiles and laughs. I promise its not always gas and not always on command but sometimes. And when it's purposeful-we love it.

 8.11lbs. and 22" long.  With a full head of hair.




 




Welcome to our world...we love you little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment